Your message didn't say, but it sounds like you're referring specifically to Windows browsing.  Over the years, we have found Windows browsing to be pretty flakey.  Most of the time it works fine, but we still occasionally run into cases where it doesn't work, and we sometimes can't figure out why.

What version of Windows is on the computers?  We find it to be somewhat more reliable with XP than with earlier versions.  What are the WINS settings? Do they all have 35.8.2.25 and 35.8.2.69 as WINS servers?  Can you ping those servers?  Can you open a network share by typing its full name, even though you can't browse to it?

At 12:53 PM 7/28/2005, Adell Flourry Jr. wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am over in the Human Ecology Building and I'm having a problem browsing to network resources such as shared folders or printers.  I have tried this from several different computers in different areas of the building.  An example:  If I try to add a network place or view workgroup computers with the firewall on or off I get the message, FCE (workgroup) is not accessible.  I have added a network place or added a network printer with no problems less than 2 days ago on several of these computers but I'm not able to even view workgroup computers today.  Currently, FCE is not part of any domain simply peer to peer.
>I'm looking for suggestions because I maybe over looking something.  Oh by the way, We are not having problems with email, or web surfing.  I can ping computers on and off campus.
>
>--
>Adell Flourry, Jr.
>Computer Technician, A+
>Family and Child Ecology/Child Development Laboratory
>Michigan State University
>107 Human Ecology Building
>East Lansing, MI 48824-1030
>http://www.msu.edu/~flourry1

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017