On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:05:03PM -0400, Lee Duynslager wrote:

> What methods of encryption does the MSUnet wireless provide for?
>
> I was told that wireless transmission goes on unencrypted, because there is
> not centralized authority for keys.
>
> Is that true?
>
> If that is the case then I would think that systems connected to these
> access points should not be processing sensitive data, as this data could
> easily be intercepted.

My view is that any sensitive data handling should be done via SSL,
whether it is done over the wired or wireless networks, rather than
relying on data encryption on portions of the intervening network.  With
the right tools, there are ways to capture some of the network traffic
even on a wired, switched network, so it's best to always use SSL when
transfering data between systems.  We do this as a matter of course for
all of our UNIX server-to-server transfers, backups, etc., and our
client-to-server operations as well.  I don't know what it takes in the
Windows client/server environment to use SSL, e.g. for mounted file
systems, but it's worth considering.

One alternative would be to run a VPN server with encryption on your
file server, and use that for all remote access via wireless and
remote access.

And yes, to answer your question, we don't provide encryption on the
wireless system, outside of the authentication, which is done via
SSL (https login page).

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Manager		 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980