However, a virus, backdoor.hackdefender seems to be making its rounds on
some of my systems, despite being fully patched with the windows
firewall turned on, and being protected by SAV.  One one of my machines,
this same virus is detected upon each bootup by the filesystem realtime
protection, however, a full scan of the machine reveals nothing.  Again,
this machine is fully patched and firewalled.

I couldn't help but notice Hacker defender.  I happened to actually
submit that particular one to symantec, as it runs as a service that is
invisible to the host machine.  I had to connect to the XP/2000 machine
remotely to be able to see it running as a system service.

If it were me, I would be reloading the systems.

You can use sc.exe to delete the hacker defender services if you know
the names.

Tim Skutt
Information Technologist I
Eli Broad College of Business