From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Orion Smith
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Multicore servers

I've been reading a lot about how nice multicore processors are for
business
apps on desktops and how nice they will be for servers.  Microsoft
recently
came out and said they would allow single-processor licenses to operate
across multiple processor cores.  Seems like someone could get a lot of
use
from a P4 Extreme Edition with HT (4 quasi-parallel units) by creating a
cheap workgroup/Web server out of it.  I know Intel and AMD are/will be
releasing server versions of their multicore CPUs, but have consistently
found reliable servers using desktop processors to be far less
expensive.
Since my program's needs aren't huge but would definitely take advantage
of
parallel processing, cheap is good - has anyone else investigated this
angle?  Companies probably won't be selling this type of machine for a
few
months, but it just sounds like a big win for the small fry server
market.

-Orion

|Orion A Smith, REACH Technology Coordinator|
|457 Erickson Hall, MSU (517)432-4022|