Hello

The other day, I came across a slashdot article of all things about the
Symantec/Veritas merger.  A lot of comments inside seemed to complain
about Symantec Antivirus quality, as in having problems in keeping
viruses out, and it not picking up everything it should.  That started
me thinking, and then I realized that I did have some issues with
Symantec Antivirus.  For one, all of my machines are centrally managed
through they Symantec system console, which doesn't work as well as it
could, but the important part is that all the machines do have updated
signatures.  However, a virus, backdoor.hackdefender seems to be making
its rounds on some of my systems, despite being fully patched with the
windows firewall turned on, and being protected by SAV.  One one of my
machines, this same virus is detected upon each bootup by the filesystem
realtime protection, however, a full scan of the machine reveals
nothing.  Again, this machine is fully patched and firewalled.

As another test, I did a scan on some archived backup materials from a
few years ago, and SAV did not find as nearly as many issues as the
Trend Micro online scanner did.

I'm starting to think that SAV may not be ideal.

So, I'd like to know what others are using for their Anti Virus
products, and their sucess with them, and if possible, how much you are
paying.  Also, what are you using for firewall products, if any.  And
lastly, I'd welcome any comments on what others are doing to protect
their systems, such as any firewall solutions, etc, especially related
to servers (Windows Servers primarily).

Peter Murray
James Madison