Ha.  You are right.  It is much less broken in Firefox.   You may have a point!   I may have to start using that browser more frequently.

Usually on my Windows computers I set my fonts (in the display control panel) to display at 150 percent of normal size.   That's almost a necessity for my eyes.   I haven't done any rigorous tests because it's too much work for someone as lazy as I am, but I have often suspected that some of the garbled web pages I see are a) other than straight html (I'm usually too lazy to look) and b) try to make assumptions about line height that they shouldn't be making.  In this case there was no vertical garbling at all with either IE or Firefox, but IE does things very differently than Firefox with the horizontal arrangement.   Firefox rendered it almost perfectly.

John Gorentz