I'm puzzled by your experience.  We have ghosted several different types of machines without ever having to activate Windows XP.  The primary ones that we deal with are Gateway E-series desktops, Dell Latitudes and IBM ThinkPads. One difference is that our general practice is to either use the manufacturer's load or reformat and install the MSU Microsoft Select license for Windows XP.  I don't recall a time when we have used an XP disc that was supplied with the machine, although it might have happened.  A possible theory is that the manufacturers originally load a copy that doesn't require activation, but the CD copy they provide does require it. Another possible explanation is that the Dimension "consumer" line is set up to require activation, while the "business" lines we buy are not.

At 04:49 PM 6/15/2005, Peter J Murray wrote:
>Here's an odd sort of question.
>
>What is the best way to handle licensing and activation for windows XP machines?
>
>Specifically.  Last year, when we added new machines to our rotation, I formatted one, used the XP disc that came with the machine, ghosted to the machines in the group.  I had to activate each and every one of them, and use the key glued to the side of the CPU.  Not too convenient.  As an aside, I've found Acronis Trueimage a much better program than Ghost.
>
>I ordered Dell Dimension 4600s last time.  Before you say that I should be using Optiplex line, I inherited a bunch of Dimensions and have been happy and didn't really want to switch. (Unless the Optiplex line comes with volume keys).
>
>So, is there a way to order these machines with volume keys so I don't have to type in individual serial #'s each time?  (without raising the cost).  Is it legal to get a volume key copy from the computer store and use the volume copy of XP for my ghosting (probably not?)?  Do I just have to deal with it?  Is there something I could be doing better?

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017