On Tue, 10 May 2005, John Valenti wrote:

> A few weeks back I connected my Mac to campus AFS using Appletalk
> (because it was so easy). I knew it would break when this change took
> effect and that I should use OpenAFS. But the comments on configuring
> OpenAFS on Mac was that it was "complex and hairy".
>
> Does anyone have notes on how to configure OpenAFS with OS X?  Or is
> there a better method of getting at campus AFS from a Mac?
> (I suppose we could use Microsoft networking, but we block that at our
> department firewall and I have no desire to ever change that)
>
> If nobody has done this, I'll give it a try in the next few days and
> take notes.
> -John

I think you should be able to just open a network connection and enter
afs.msu.edu to get to the public AFS boxes.  We've been able to use the
public AFS rotary on the Macs since MacOS 8.5.

If you are using Mac OS X, are you sure you were really using
AppleTalk?  It may be AppleTalk over TCP/IP, but it's still TCP/IP and it
should still work when AppleTalk routing is turned off.

Joe Besko                      Phone:        517.432.5335
Systems Programmer             Fax:          517.353.9847
Michigan State University      E-mail:       [log in to unmask]
515 Computer Center            E-mail Page:  [log in to unmask]
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042    (please limit page to 3 lines)