Chris,

I checked with the Mail team and here's the scoop:  IMAP is I/O-intensive (and especially read-intensive).  It imposes a lot of load on the storage subsystem, which happens to be from a vendor called Netapp.  At certain peak load times, the Netapp runs at full throttle.  Through the APPR process ACNS requested funding this cycle for new hardware to provide relief.  If the funding comes through they should be able to address this concern this summer.

How often do you experience one minute transaction times?  What times of day?   I don't do a a lot of IMAP, but when I do, performance varies, but I don't think I've seen delays that long.

/rich