Circa 1995 I interviewed the founder of Lycos.  They had experimented
with having a "Large Catalog" and a "Small Catalog" -- the small one
was more of a starting points directory, and the large one was more
comprehensive.

They found that everyone gravitated to the Large catalog, assuming it
was better.

Listserv pings me whenever someone joins the Service Status mailing
lists, and it looks like people are gravitating to the Detailed list.
If the volume proves too great you can always move to another list, or
use filters to limit the info to those service areas of interest.

/rich