I was going to kick in my 2 cents on this ...

I've been buying Samsung printers for about two years now. The most
recent batch was model ML-1740, at $150 each. Frequently they are
available for $100, after a rebate (Best Buy or CompUSA). Toner is the
only supply, at about $80 each, good for maybe 4000 pages. Sounds like
about $10 per 500 sheets for toner, or two cents per page.

I had a bad experience with HP 1100 printers a few years back. We
bought about thirty of them, they all started failing right after the
warranty period. There was a fix-it kit, but that was a one-time repair
that just extended them for another six months. There was a class
action suit against HP, the settlement was $10/printer, applied to
another HP product. (back then, these printers were $400 including a
scanner attachment).  I tried to quit buying HP at that point, but two
mid-range printers (2200 & 2300) were ordered in a moment of weakness.
They both failed at month 13.

I still have a few HP Laserjet 4 printers running (moved into
individual offices now), those must be over ten years old. And a
networked Laserjet 8000,  six(?) years old and more than half a million
pages is almost always working. Frequently at least one of our three
networked Xerox copiers is down - service contracts on those.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the Samsung printers.  Given the cost
analysis below I should probably look at Dell again, but on the other
hand, we already have to stock a half dozen different toners here.