A follow up on the printer issue.

I did a printing cost analysis in a spreadsheet, and here are my
numbers.  These are based on the following assumptions:  Using the best
yield cartridges (usually the most expensive ones for a better price per
page), Dell requires a drum change every 30,000 pages.

HP1300 costs $9.62 per 500 sheets for toner.  (Yield 4000 pages)
Dell 1700 costs $8.16 per 500 sheets for toner and drum. (Toner Yield
6000 pages, Drum 30,000)
HP 1012 costs $17.50 per 500 sheets for toner. (Yield 2000 pages, $69.99)

Given the Dell 1700 is not that much more than the 1012, and is less
than the 1300, the decision is pretty easy to make.  (includes 3 year
warranty).

As another follow up for the Dell pricing issue, I notice that the
cstore page has been changed to mention that if you see a pricing
difference, to let the Cstore know, and the will match, which is
helpful, as the MSU price for a Dell 1700 printer is $244, Home Price
$218, Small Business is $288.  Home and Education prices included a 3
year advanced exchange warranty.  Small Business included a different
type of warranty.  Update:  Even more weird.  Going through Dell's
general higher education link yielded a price of $186, which is even
better than the MSU spring special price of  $203.25 (same 3 year
warranty).  That's what we'll be faxing to the cstore on our requisition.

As another follow up on warranty issues.  A laptop we have was on
international travel and was damaged.  Even though I'm pretty sure I
didn't specify complete care and gold support, it was on there, and the
damage is covered, and the phone call was downright pleasant and not
outsourced.  In the future, I will be sure to specify complete care, and
I have been satisfied with warranty repairs so far.

Peter M.
James Madison College