I believe I may have reported this before; apologies if so.

I'm an MSU ACD DSL customer; I switched to them after the demise of
the late, lamented TCI-METS service.   (Almost TEN years ago, summer
1995, I had 10 megabit symmetrical Internet access from my house.  The
time since then has been a history of decline.)

My ACD DSL service was incredibly spotty for many months.  Per Murphy,
the service failed frequently at night or on weekends, precisely when
a person wants residential broadband to work.

I took my modem to ACD; they tested it and pronounced it fine.

ACD came to my house, tested the line, pronounced it fine.

ACD had SBC come to my house, tested the line, pronounced it fine.

Finally an ACD tech left me a new DSL modem to try.  My service has
been rock solid ever since.  Same make and model as my old modem.  I'm
convinced the modem had an intermittent problem.  Or perhaps the
replacement had a newer rev of firmware, better able to respond to
network hiccups.

Now, the only failures I see are systemic ones that everyone sees.

As they say "you mileage may vary."

/rich