One of the new features that was rolled out on March 5th for
mail.msu.edu was something we call the "penalty box."  This feature is
designed to stop dictionary attacks.

A dictionary attack is where a program connects to a mail server and
tries to send spam or a virus to a list of randomly generated
usernames.  This, while in itself is bad, has the potential side
effect of creating an enormous amount of collateral spam.  In some
cases enough where we can DoS a small ISP (this has actually happened
in the past).  In an attempt to stop these attacks, we developed a
mechanism to temporarily block mail from offending IP addresses (the
penalty box).

If a server connects to mail.msu.edu and sends to too many invalid
recipients (an absolute minimum of 15), the server gets put into the
penalty box for 24 hours.  This means that there will be no mail
allowed from the offending server for 24 hours.

We are in the process of white listing all departmental e-mail
servers.  If you are responsible for a legitimate departmental e-mail
server, please e-mail me with the server name, and your contact
information so I can white list you.

Thanks!

./matt

--