On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 04:38:00PM -0500, Chris Wolf wrote:

> My understanding of workplace rules (even at the University) ...

My personal views/understanding is that there are reasonable ways to
resolve the SAU/workplace rules dichotomy.  For example, within my area,
I run many servers, and my staff have their own accounts on most of these
servers, and sometimes have files under their account space.  However,
by mutual agreement, each member of my staff has their own private
space, which includes their personal AFS space, their personal e-mail
account(s), and (for the most part) the contents of their assigned
workstation.  All other space, e.g. shared mailboxes and space on
servers other than the mail server, is declared to be departmental
workspace, and thus outside the personal privacy protections / issues.

And if there's ever a case where a question arises about whether some
personal files are stored in "departmental" space, I would ask first,
before perusing the files in question.

I don't consider this as much a policy, but rather an understanding
of the workplace environment.

I do agree, though, that the current SAU can use updating, and I
applaud the efforts of the NCC subcommittee that is working on their
recommendations for NCC and VP Gift.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980