Have you logged into the DHCP account used for one of these computers
and checked to make sure it is still registered under that account (not
sure if you register yours by users or all under one account).  Also it
possible that ACNS deactivated them to virus/security issues?

Stephen Bogdanski           Network Support, MSU-CVM
Michigan State University  [log in to unmask]
A227 VetMed Center         Phone:          (517) 353-5551
East Lansing, MI 48824     Fax:              (517) 432-2937

>>> David Benjamin <[log in to unmask]> 02/04/05 09:58AM >>>
Does anyone know why some of the computers in our department would be
getting this message when trying to connect to the internet:

"Your computer is not using a dynamic IP address with dhcp.msu.edu. "

Since the past weekend just a few computers have spontaneously "lost"
their dhcp addresses and for some strange reason cannot get one back.
It's being assigned a pre-dhcp registration IP (35.15.120.xxx) outside
of our 35.9.168.xxx pool.  I've tried the usual release/renew,
uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC, removing all entries on the NIC,
setting a static IP for a few minutes then released it, switching ports,
switching cables, and I have even tried a winsock fix tool that was
suggested by the ACNS Helpdesk. Notta!
Please let me know if you have suggestions. Feel free to call or direct
mail me if need be.

Thank you,

David Benjamin
Computer Hardware/Software Coordinator
Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health
Michigan State University
Suite 202
Lansing, MI 48910
517-432-5840