I think it would be fairly easy to add a unique identifying number for
each person (call it an account # if you must), that doesn't change.  An
account # could have a ZPID, APID and SSN associated with it, but keep
the SSN on only the systems that really need it.  Here's my question
though.  It seems that the APID could of easily have done this, so why
complicate things with both an ZPID and APID?  Have everyone move to
APIDs and be done with using SSN numbers.  Easy.