Of possible interest with respect to this:

MSU's home page info about this has a link to the FTC
http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

That in turn has a link to the 3 major credit report companies.  All of
them offer copies of your credit report, at prices ranging from $10 to
$30. But Experian has a 30 day free offer (then $10/month), I just
joined that and printed out a copy of my credit report.  I've always
thought this was just a scam to get you signed up and then hope you
forget to cancel membership, but it could be useful.

I understand there is a new federal law that provides one free credit
report per year. That goes into effect March 1st for Michigan.
One of the companies linked me to here, but I haven't researched it
yet: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

And there is also MSU's CJ group on identify theft:
http://www.cj.msu.edu/%7Eoutreach/identity/

-John