By this I assume you mean that it drops the mail directly
into the mail queue for delivery?  I could see using a
different mail queue for webmail than for standard MSU
mail delivery.  That would require the webmail MTA to
talk to the MSU MTA via SMTP in order to deliver the mail.

I understand there are plenty of other variables that work
into this, and virus scanning from webmail probably isn't a
terribly high priority.  Just my two cents.

-Russell