Programs that have known issues with Outlook 2002 SP3 and Outlook 2003

Error message: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have
stored in Outlook"

Outlook 2002 SP3 and Outlook 2003 implemented several new security
features that caused problems for third-party applications. Generally,
you will get a message saying that an application is trying to access
the Address Book, and it gives you the choice to allow the access for a
few minutes.

The following applications are known to have issues with Outlook 2002
SP3 and possibly with Outlook 2003 (links to updates provided if
available):

*       IHateSpam. Fix: Apply Update
<http://support.sunbelt-software.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduse
r/std_adp.php?&p_faqid=1096>
*       SpamNet. Fix: Apply Update
<http://www.cloudmark.com/support/spamnet/kb/article.php?id=74>
*       Norton AntiSpam. Fix: Run LiveUpdate to get the latest version
*       HotBar, Smiley Central, other ActiveX applications. Fix:
uninstall (Hotbar is spyware) or download a newer version
*       Palm Pilot Software. Fix: remove palmapp.dot from Word's startup
folder.
*       PocketMirror. Fix: Download 3.1.6 update or higher
<http://www.chapura.com/>
*       Palm's Hotsync v4.1.0
*       NewsGator. Fix: Download 2.0.3.1 or later
<http://www.newsgator.com/downloads.aspx>
*       Acrobat add-in for Word. Fix: disable Word as the email editor
or disable the COM add-in in Outlook (To prevent the PDFMaker COM Addin
from loading, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\PDFMOutlook.
PDFMOutlook and change the LoadBehavior value from 3 to 2. Restart
Outlook. The PDF functions will still be available in Word and the other
Office programs.)
*       Other Word templates or add-ins may trigger the security
warning. Disable the add-in or Word as the editor or delete the template
from Word's startup folder.
*       Word Macros in normal.dot may cause the warning--rename
normal.dot and restart Word.
*       Incredimail for Outlook plugin
*       NoHTML COM addin. Disable this addin and use the readasplain
<http://www.outlooktips.net/howto/plain_text.htm>  registry key instead.

[top]
<http://oregonstate.edu/net/services/mail/exchange/adminhowto.html#top#t
op>

Mel Micke  [log in to unmask]  517/ 43 2-7302
Michigan State University
Academic Computing & network Services

Group leader - Network Integration & Support Srvcs
301 Computer Center, East Lansing MI 48824-1042
Text2pager-WebForm--> http://netinfo.msu.edu/page