This memo went to deans, directors, and chairs this morning:

Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:03:16 -0500
From: Tom Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Computer Center power upgrade rescheduled for March 5

On Saturday, March 5, 2005, Physical Plant will implement Phase I of
much-needed improvements to electrical systems in the Computer Center.
This upgrade will require a total shutdown of electrical service in
the Computer Center machine room.  Thus, many core computing services
(mail.msu.edu, www.msu.edu, magic.msu.edu, afs.msu.edu, etc.) will be
unavailable from 3:00 a.m. until 9:00 a.m.  Note that March 5 is the
first Saturday of Spring Break.

We anticipate that Internet and campus network access will remain
online during this outage.  Barring any unforeseen problems, all
mission-critical services should be restored by 9:00 a.m.

You may recall that we previously announced this first phase of power
improvements for December 29, 2004.  Unfortunately, on December 28, an
unrelated incident occurred at MSU's Power Plant, requiring that we
reschedule this work.

For more information, please see:

http://techbase.msu.edu/viewpathfinder.asp?id=2947

Tom Davis, Director