I've never used FoxPro and I've only used ColdFusion with Access, but I'll try to give an answer anyway.

ColdFusion uses JDBC drivers to communicate with databases.  As far as I know, the only JDBC driver supplied with ColdFusion Server for a commonly used standard database is the one for Microsoft Access.  (There are also drivers for SQL Server and MySQL, for example, but those aren't going to help you either.) However, there is also a driver called "ODBC socket" which allows JDBC to connect to an ODBC source.  Since Microsoft supplies an ODBC driver for Visual FoxPro, my understanding is that you would define an ODBC source for your FoxPro database and then define a ColdFusion data source using the ODBC Socket driver to connect to the ODBC source.  You wind up "chaining" two drivers, but it's supposed to work.

(Another alternative is to find a native JDBC driver for FoxPro, although I suspect it's not worth it if the ODBC socket method works.  If you go to http://servlet.java.sun.com/products/jdbc/drivers/index.html you can find a list of all the JDBC drivers that Sun is aware of for any particular database, such as FoxPro.)

Some of this is covered in the ColdFusion Administrator help screens.  If you run the CF Administrator, and go to Data Sources, then click on Help, you can read what they have to say.

The most comprehensive book about ColdFusion is "Macromedia ColdFusion MX Web Application Construction Kit" by Forta and Weiss.  It's considered the "standard" book for ColdFusion development.  The other book I have used is "Macromedia ColdFusion MX Development with Dreamweaver MX" by Hove and Garrett.

At 10:22 AM 1/6/2005, Samone E. Jones wrote:
>Hello Comrades,
>
>I've got a FoxPro database I've inherited and I'm trying to find a quick and simple way
>to make it accessible from the web without rebuilding the whole thing.
>Preferably, I want to use Cold Fusion - but I've never put Cold Fusion on top
>of a FoxPro database - I'm wondering what I might get myself into.
>
>Any FoxPro masters out there, that can give me an idea of what's involved here.
>If you can get me started and point me to a good how-to article or book or anything - you've got a free lunch.
>

>Samone E. Jones
>Information Technologist
>Family Consumer Sciences
>Phone: 517.432.4552
>Email: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017