At 08:24 AM 12/16/2004, Chris Wolf wrote:
>I use Eudora 6.2 via IMAP with mail.msu.edu and it is pretty much trouble-free.  We use Eudora throughout the department, mostly via POP, and the handful of IMAP users have no more trouble than the POP users.
>
>However, we have noticed an increase in the number of crashes in the last six months for many of our POP users of Eudora 6.0-6.2.  The crashes typically cause an exception error either while mail is being received or immediately after that, while the received mail is being processed. Eudora closes because of the error and then when it is restarted, it reports that the table of contents for the In box is damaged and has to be rebuilt.  We have sent detailed information to Qualcomm about this, but have not received useful help.  One of these users was running 6.0.x and we upgraded his to 6.2 specifically to see if it would fix the problem, and it did not.
>
>I'm pretty certain we have never seen a case of disappearing messages such as you describe, and I would strongly suspect some sort of user error.  Does your Director have any custom filters defined in Eudora?

I would suspect that, too, but I've been working pretty close with her on e-mail issues lately.   You know how it is--until you get to know the person and how she/he works, you suspect user error when you hear things like this.   But then after much experience, you get to know when she no longer misunderstands you and vice versa, and when you can pretty much take what she says at face value.  We're getting close to that point.  I am not 100 percent ready to rule out user error yet, because I can think of one or two possibilities we haven't yet covered.   The eudora.log may help me verify.   But we're getting to the point where I'm wondering if we need to look for some client other than Eudora.   You're the first person who has reported successful Eudora-IMAP use with the MSU server, so that encourages me to keep trying to get these issues resolved.

It was interesting to hear about Thunderbird.  I should probably investigate that.   But for people who live an e-mail intensive life, it's not a simple thing to switch, or even to try another client.   So I'll try to be the first guinea pig.   Unfortunately, my e-mail life is complicated enough that it doesn't work very well at the moment for me to be the guinea pig for IMAP at mail.msu.edu.  I need to do a lot of filtering before I dare try again.  A few years ago I thought Eudora might be on the decline here in our department, but it seems to have had a renaissance among those who need to manage large amounts of mail.  We, too, have a setup whereby "local" folders are stored on a file server and people can go from one computer to another to access their mail.   Even for IMAP users, that can be useful.   In a way, though, it's less important to have that when people can resort to webmail when they're away from their desks.

John Gorentz