On the Netware side of things, you will need to advertise Netware
services on the TCP/IP protocol by configuring SLP, and designating one
of your Netware servers as the primary SLP DA (directory agent) server.
If you are unfamiliar with SLP, it takes some effort to set up, and I
won't go into all the details when Novell has already done so.  Here are
some great Netware Tech document at the support.netware.com
knowledgebase:

What is a SLP DA (Directory Agent) and Scope? - TID10024591
SLP Design and Implementation Guidelines - TID10062474
Configuring SLP with a SCOPED directory agent (DA) - TID10059981
Configuring SLP with an UNSCOPED directory agent (DA) - TID10060296

SLP (Service Location Protocol) is the primary way you get Novell
services that were dependent on SAP and NCP in the IPX protocol to
advertise over the TCP/IP protocol.  This is something you need to have
set up on your Netware servers in a routed environment if you plan to
eventually go Pure-IP and ditch IPX on your network.   Also, once you
have your Scope defined and set up in your server environment, you also
need to set the Netware client options to point to your SLP Directory
Agent (DA) server in the Service Location tab of the client properties.
If you do that, you shouldn't need to manually add the server address of
any server in your tree to the PC client's individual routing tables.

I hope this information helps.

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
Michigan State University College of Law
208 Law College Building
East Lansing, MI  48824-1300
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836
Fax: 517-432-6861

Kim Geiger wrote:
> I have a strange problem that's causing me a lot of trouble.  Since
the network engineering help line was, shall we say to be
> polite, something less than helpful, I thought I'd run it up the
flagpole here.

> We recently installed a Netware 6.5 server with the same static
address as the Netware 4.11 server it replaced:  35.8.232.2

> With 6.5, many things that used to use IPX or Appletalk are now done
via tcp/ip.  If a client has a MSU DHCP assigned address in
> the 35.10.x.x range, they cannot access server resources or even ping
35.8.232.2, although they can ping other 35.8.x.x addresses
> just fine.
>
> All other ip addresses, on and off campus, *can* see this server,
just not the 35.10.x.x addresses that most of my clients are
> assigned.  If I manually add a statement to the routing table of each
client, then these clients can see the server, but that's
> only a bandaid solution, particularly since I don't think there's a
way to add a permanent route on Win98 machines.  And I'd really
> rather not give all of my clients static 35.8.x.x addresses.
>
> I've tried adding a variety of routing statements on the server
itself, but nothing seems to make a difference.  Besides, it's not
> a router and shouldn't have to handle much in the way of routing
tasks, should it?

> Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

A few questions to aide in debugging.

What static route makes it work?

What does tracert output from a client show?

What subnet mask and gateway do you use on the Netware server?

Are the server and clients on the same physical network segment?

netstat -r from both the server and clients may also be helpful.

dpk