Chris Wolf wrote:

> At Friday's NAG meeting, several people seemed to be claiming that the Windows Firewall in XP SP2 blocks pings by default, and thus would break some things, such as MSU's ability to properly manage DHCP addresses.
>
> I checked this out on the computer where I installed SP2 last week.  I found that the default ICMP settings for the firewall have "Allow incoming echo request" turned on, and all other settings off.  When I ping this computer from another one I get a normal response.
>
> Does this mean that there is no problem?  Is anyone else finding a different default setting or getting ping failures?  Thanks.

I'd be interested in hearing someone who can corroborate Chris's findings.
If ICMP is indeed enabled, then it would appear that Microsoft actually
listened to us during the beta period.

Doug

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
Michigan State University                |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/