> To make the situation even stranger, I have wi-fi built-in on my new Dell
> Inspiron 600m laptop (Centrino) and I use wireless at home and here on
> campus, never drops.  If I take my system there it exhibits the same
> problem.  Crazy!

I don't know if you have the same utility I do, but if you have it, open
up the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility, and take a look a the "Link Status"
tab.  It shows signal and noise level - see what those do during the period
when your signal drops.

My guess is that you will see the noise level shoot up at those times.
It sounds to me like another system in the building is using 2.4 GHz, but
not for wireless Ethernet.  Perhaps it's one of the building control
systems, doing a periodic status check or polling.

Doug

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
Michigan State University                |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/