Over here we use a program called F-prot Antivirus and have been using it for several years.  The software is put out by Frisk International (http://www.f-prot.com/) and works wonderful for our needs.  It has a very small memory footprint, an independent scheduler and it's update program allows for you to update over the Net or from a LAN location.  We chose this program because most other AV packages seem to be too bulky and many times cause their own issues.  Best of all you cannot beat the pricing, well except for free, which is around $2-3 per computer.  When we last renewed our license it cost a little over $1,300 for 800 licenses.  For a more detail on pricing you can look here: https://secure.f-prot.com/cgi-bin/buy

Hope this helps.

Stephen Bogdanski           Network Support, MSU-CVM
Michigan State University  [log in to unmask]
A227 VetMed Center         Phone:          (517) 353-5551
East Lansing, MI 48824     Fax:              (517) 432-2937

>>> John Valenti <[log in to unmask]> 04/09/04 01:07PM >>>
I've been thinking about what to do for anti-virus protection when our
Symantec AV license runs out in July. Sophos is an option that I
explored a few years back, but lost interest in after the campus NAV
license was established.

Now it seems that Sophos has more competitive pricing, so I plan on
evaluating that in May. But I wanted to bring this to the group's
attention now, for people that may be farther along in the order
process.   www.sophos.com has a free download for evaluation.

-John

The sales rep implied that pricing would get better for larger
quantities.  Here is a cut from a price quote:
Sophos Anti-Virus (SAV) for 500 Computers (not to exceed 50 servers)

Product     Subscription Term       QTY           Unit Price      Total
             Cost per Year
SAV             1 year                 500      $7.00               $3,500.00      $3,500.00
SAV             2 year                 500      $10.50              $5,250.00      $2,100.00*
SAV             3 year                 500      $14.00              $7,000.00      $1,866.65*

*Note: 2- year subscription includes 6 additional months at no charge
for a total term of 30 months
*Note: 3- year subscription includes 9 additional months at no charge
for a total term of 45 months

And a quote from a Sophos sales rep: