Steve mentioned the perennial problem of getting users to select and use "good" passwords, however we might define that.  One approach we've taken is to put up a web page that uses a perl script to generate random passwords that contain numerals and special characters, but are somewhat pronounceable so it's easier to remember.  They aren't industrial-strength, and they aren't as easy to remember as your dog's name, but I think they strike a decent compromise between the two.  If you want to have a look, see http://lib7web.lib.msu.edu/sopp.htm.  I certainly can't claim that none of our users has their dog's name as their password, but at least we've provided them with an alternative.

Hope this helps some.
--Bill.
Bill Wheeler
Systems Programmer and Administrator
Michigan State University Libraries
E-mail: [log in to unmask]  Phone: (517)432-6123 x 234