Good morning,

I'm gonna put my neck out and ask a really stupid question.  Due to the
recent plague of password protected .ZIP files in bogus email messages,
and the fact that the vast majority of virus scanning systems can't open
them, I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to limit the
damage from these messages.

My question goes more toward the folks at the Computer Laboratory, and
probably requires more expertise than I have.  My thought was this: in
many cases, the PCs and laptops getting infrected and broadcasting
emails are individual machines, not legitimate mail servers.  Many of
the infected machines may be reaching campus via the dialup and external
entry points onto campus.  Most of those lie within the 35.12.xx.yy
range of addresses.

My question is this:  can specific ranges within 35.12.xx be identified
as STRICTLY dialup users, and could those user addresses have common
SMTP server ports blocked? If no individual PC connecting though dialup
should be allowed to act like an email server, yet infected PCs usually
do when trying to sent out emails, would that create enough of a profile
to allow some ranges to block SMTP ports to prevent some of the spread
of these infections onto the campus network?  I know that this is
difficult, considering that a legitimate client may have the need to
connect to specific SMTP ports to deliver valid email.  Also, and IPS
would be better suited to at least detect PCs trying to engage in
massive amounts of SMTP connections as possiblly infected machines.  I'm
just trying to brainstorm a way to try to reduce the amount of infected
traffic we all have to contend with.

Now that I've thrown this out there, I'd love to hear comments,
suggestions, criticisms, and most importantly, alternatives that may
help us all with this problem.  Thanks to the Computer Lab folks for
keeping on top of these issues when they crop up.

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
MSU - Detroit College of Law
208 Law College Building