Right.  Just because there are machine names out there
you aren't giving the vandals any real advantage in things.
There is security, and there is the attempt at security by
obscurity, and this is one of the latter things.

A vandal who is interested in trawling around for juicy sites
at MSU isn't going to need a list--they're going to engage
in some form of port scanning which is going to be far
faster, test for more things, and disregards what might
be of interest on paper for what is actually out there.

Having data online for the MSU community to read is a good
thing.  Putting barriers around it means that I'd likely have a
harder time looking at it from my home cable system in Ann
Arbor for example.

Keep information free and available.  The benefits of doing
that as much as possible always outweighs the negative.
Never let the fear of vandals formlate policy.

--STeve Andre'   (Political Science)