I don't follow this.  What do you think that mail.msu.edu is doing
incorrectly?  From what I see, it is returning 250 for each RCPT
with a valid id, and 5xx for each invalid recipient line.  That is
exactly what my reading of the RFC would indicate should happen.
Given what mail.msu.edu returns, , it should be easy for the sender
to match up the failed recipients with the matching 5xx code.
It's unfortunate that some of the clients seem not to reasonably
follow the spec.

Doug

> technically, RFC 2821 states:
>
>  The first or only argument to this command includes a forward-path
>    (normally a mailbox and domain, always surrounded by "<" and ">"
>    brackets) identifying one recipient.  If accepted, the SMTP server
>    returns a 250 OK reply and stores the forward-path.  If the recipient
>    is known not to be a deliverable address, the SMTP server returns a
>    550 reply, typically with a string such as "no such user - " and the
>    mailbox name (other circumstances and reply codes are possible).
>    This step of the procedure can be repeated any number of times.
>
> However, in practice, some servers do not perform recipient
>    verification until after the message text is received.  These servers
>    SHOULD treat a failure for one or more recipients as a "subsequent
>    failure" and return a mail message as discussed in section 6.  Using
>    a "550 mailbox not found" (or equivalent) reply code after the data
>    are accepted makes it difficult or impossible for the client to
>    determine which recipients failed.
>
> (http://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt)
>
> mail.msu.edu is not doing this.  if the client is using pipelineing, it
> should accept as long as one RCPT TO address was valid.
>
> the simplest fix would be:
>
> (http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/FAQ_4.html)
>
> Q0416:
> <http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/FAQ.html#TOC155>  What is
> quickest way to set up Exim so any message sent to a non-existing user
> would bounce back with a different message, based on the name of
> non-existing user?
>
> A0416:  Place this router last, so that it catches any local addresses
> that are not otherwise handled:
>
>    non_exist:
>      driver = accept
>      transport = non_exist_reply
>      no_verify
>
> Then add the following transport to the transports section:
>
>    non_exist_reply:
>      driver = autoreply
>      user = exim
>      to = $sender_address
>      subject = User does not exist
>      text = You sent mail to $local_part. That's not a valid user here. \
>

>             The subject was: $subject.
>

> jason
>
> Ed Symanzik wrote:
>
> > /home/zik> telnet mail.msu.edu smtp
> > Trying 35.9.75.123...
> > Connected to mail.msu.edu.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220 sys23.mail.msu.edu ESMTP Exim 4.24 Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:12:34 -0500
> > ehlo foo
> > 250-sys23.mail.msu.edu Hello hardy.cl.msu.edu [35.8.3.246]
> > 250-SIZE 52428800
> > 250-PIPELINING
> > 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
> > 250-STARTTLS
> > 250 HELP
> > mail from: [log in to unmask]
> > 250 OK
> > rcpt to: [log in to unmask]
> > 550 unknown user
> > rcpt to: [log in to unmask]
> [...]

Doug Nelson, Network Manager             |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services  |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
Michigan State University                |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/