To add another plug for the philosophy and design of Eudora--although it does not report this error properly to the user, someone who knows the program can use its debugging log to examine the dialog with the server and thus identify the specific address that doesn't work.  I don't think that's possible with these other programs we're discussing (with the disclaimer that I don't know the other programs as well, so I might not be aware of an existing feature that allows this).