Okay, in response to several requests, the overview of the procedure for recovering Eudora's quarantined In box is:

Set Eudora to not check mail automatically, and then close Eudora.  (You don't want to receive any more mail while you're trying to fix the problem.)  Find the in.mbx and in.toc files and rename them to savein.mbx and savein.toc.

Turn off Norton Anti-Virus's real-time virus protection.  Find the in.mbx file in the quarantine and restore it to its original location.

Run Eudora and examine the In box to find the message(s) causing the problem (which may or may not be simple to do).  Delete these messages.  Compact the In box.  Exit Eudora.

Do a manual virus scan of the in.mbx file.  If no virus is found, you've got it fixed.  If it quarantines it again, it means you still have at least one offending message, so you have to repeat the process.

Once you're done, turn on Norton Anti-Virus's real-time virus protection, merge your "savein" mail back into In box, re-establish your automatic mail checking, etc.

Note that this doesn't cover every intricacy we've seen, and there's some chance I've omitted a step somewhere, but I'm pretty sure I got all the basics in there.

At 04:07 PM 2/9/2004, Tracy Aichele wrote:
>Please, Chris.  We've got at least one person in the department with this problem.
>
>Tracy Aichele
>

>At 03:54 PM 2/9/2004, you wrote:
>>We have run into this problem on several Windows machines with Eudora and Norton AV CE. If anyone needs the information, I can describe how to recover the mailbox.

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017