Yes, this came up some time ago.  It isn't mail to AOL in general;
it's mail from Pilot users.  Pilot allows relaying of mail from
within msu.edu; when a computer at MSU is infected with an email
generating worm or virus, it bombards AOL; AOL then auto-blocks
the offending Pilot server.

Mail.msu.edu authenticates users and isn't susceptible to the
problem.  The solution is to upgrade to mail.msu.edu.

This was documented on help.msu.edu/status in October.  Here's
the record:

https://contact.cl.msu.edu/status/status_history.php?id=000000000000197

/rich