One audience of special concern when it comes to upgrading from Pilot
is MSU retirees.  Many retirees retain and use their MSU e-mail
addresses.  Being retired, they may not have easy access to someone
to provide tech support.

The local MSU Retirees organization holds monthly meetings, and we're
planning to talk at their March 8 meeting.  That will reach about 50
out of the local community of a few hundred people.

We are considering holding a class and clinic on March 12 to assist
others.  Those with laptops would bring them in.  We'd hold the
meeting in the International Center Library, where there's power
and Ethernet.  We'd have a team of folks to rove around and help
upgrade and reconfigure client software.  We'd have a way to look
up PINs for those who've lost their passwords.

But this wouldn't solve everyone's problem.  Some will have desktops
and may not be able to bring them in.  Some retirees aren't mobile
enough to attend a meeting, but still rely on their e-mail.  Some
may have dialup problems or unrelated issues with their computers.

We've heard back that in some departments, computer support people
or students have mobilized to help local retirees with their upgrades.

It'd be very helpful to hear what you're doing, or planning to do,
in your department to reach out to retirees.  Please send me a private
note if you'd rather not post to the list.  Thanks!

/rich