At 10:08 20/02/04 -0500, Chris Wolf wrote:
>I'd like to hear from anyone who is currently doing videoconferencing, regarding what system you're using, where you have it located, how much it's used, the costs involved, etc.  We're just starting to look into it. Thanks.

We have a conference-room sized Polycom for IP-based videoconferencing (and I also have a single-user desktop unit).   It was used last semester for a course that originated on campus, but with some students in each of two off-campus locations.   Ours was one of the off-campus locations.  It's also used for small-group meetings between some of our people and folks in the College of Education on campus.   We use it at 384 Kbps and sometimes 768 Kbps, but it has been more reliable at the lower speed.   Sometimes it works very well, but there have been times when it did not, possibly due to very transient spikes of network congestion.   Doug Nelson was helping to track these problems down, but I don't think we ever determined for absolute certainty where the problems were coming from.   We've actually had more consistent success with it for daytime use than in evenings.

John Gorentz
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station