Pat & others,

I have the same sense of impending doom. While I think highly of the
mail team, I'm a little shaky on how this was tested.

OS change + hardware changes + features upgrade = ???

I would be concerned about problems from the time of the upgrade all the
way thru January 5-7 as the students return.

Most of my faculty & staff haven't upgraded yet, but even they might be
affected since mail.msu.edu gets first crack at msu.edu messages again.

I think I'll be telling my people about the wonderful new changes to the
mail system, but also warning that there might be some unexpected
downtime and that it would be a good idea to have a backup email account
working.

-John

PS - It seems like this might be an ongoing problem, how to test a large
productional system. I wonder if it might be possible to have a
permanent test bed, say mailX.msu.edu ? Through the magic of software,
people could elect to have their mailbox on that system and be a beta
tester.  Probably too complicated.