There is a lack of documentation, and it is complicated.  I haven't used it
yet, but I understand it as follows:

An auto-reply is a boilerplate message that can be used by the filtering
feature.  What you do first is to create one or more auto-replies, giving
each one a name.  You could have a "vacation" auto-reply, an "away at
meetings" auto-reply, even a "please don't send me any more messages"
auto-reply.  Creating an auto-reply doesn't really have any effect at all
by itself, until you actually create  a rule for it in the filtering
feature.  You figure out the right set of filtering rules to identify the
messages you want that auto-reply to be used for, set the corresponding
action to "Send an autoreply", and then pick the name of the auto-reply you
want to use.

Now that I look at it closely, I'm not quite sure what would be the
recommended filtering rule if you wanted an auto-reply to be used for every
incoming message, as you might for a "vacation" message.

At 09:36 AM 12/17/2003, Tim Potter wrote:
>Looks like the upgrade happened without a glitch; way to go guys!
>
>I can't seem to find any information on using the new auto-reply
>feature.  My own tests haven't helped me any and I see nothing in the Help
>section or the FAQ describing this new feature.  Anyone know how this is
>supposed to work?  This is a tool that many of our staff have been wanting
>for years.
>
>Thank you,
>Tim
>
>**********************
>Tim Potter
>Information Officer
>MSU Alumni Association
>E. Lansing, MI  48824
>517/432-1160
>Fax: 517/432-7769
>Stay Connected! www.msualum.com

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017