From: Matthew C. Jackson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 12:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Problem with Profiles on Cloned Computer

I'm curious if anyone out there has any experience using the Microsoft
Remote Installation Services (RIS). in Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 2000.
Sounds like it could be used instead of Ghost.

According to Microsoft website...

IHVs, ISVs, and OEMs who create tools that help network administrators
and end users perform tasks such as system BIOS updates, standalone
system diagnosis, and virus scanning and repair can use the Remote
Installation Services (RIS) in Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 2000 to provide
an independent setup routine that is executed on the RIS Server. RIS
provides a centralized location to integrate maintenance and
troubleshooting tools that are accessible through a network boot.

RIS provides network administrators with the capability to easily
install the base operating system onto a new PC or to replace a system
that has failed. RIS allows the administrator to do these things without
ever having to visit the individual machine.

RIS enables remote installation of Windows 2000 Professional through
server-side image management capabilities. No hardware-specific images
for clients are required: Plug and Play is used to detect client
hardware during Windows 2000 Professional Setup. The operating system
and machine can be recovered in the event of a system failure; this
provides the ability to boot and operate in a "disconnected" state and
to support security after the operating system has booted.

Sincerely,

Matthew C. Jackson
MEC Operations Supervisor

Email:    [log in to unmask]