Stephen Asman wrote:

> >As for DHCP, if you get an incorrect IP address (not starting with 35), then
> >there is likely to be a "rogue" DHCP server within your building.  Often, this
> >is caused by an incorrectly-configured Wireless unit, or some type of router
> >(e.g. a cable/DSL router, incorrectly wired or configured).  The best way to
> >force DHCP to the correct server is to find and eliminate the incorrectly-
> >configured system.
>
> On Friday afternoon I was able to locate the "rogue" server in Fee
> Hall.  We had notice that that our DHCP clients were sometimes getting
> inappropriate IP settings (addresses in the 192.168.0.X range with a
> subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) and not functioning properly.  I ran
> "ipconfig /all" on such a mis-configured Win2k machine and got the IP
> address of the DHCP server (192.168.0.1) , ping'ed it arp'ed it and got
> the MAC address (00-09-5b-2a-c2-24) and determined that it was a
> "Netgear" device.  I remembered that someone in West Fee had recently
> installed such a device.  When I went to inspect it, I found that the
> MAC address matched, and that the the second port on the router had been
> pluged into the building network instead of the first port (marked
> "internet" on the box itself).  When I inquired the owner as to why it
> had been set up that way he said that he was told to do this by people
> from the College of Engineering to improve its performance.  I suspect
> that there was some mis-communication there.  I carefully explained the
> difficulties that this was casing on our network and unplugged the box.

I'm glad you were able to find this one.  I would also suspect some
miscommunication there.  I would also imagine that the Netgear cable/DSL
router is not really the appropriate device for that part of the Fee Hall
network.

Doug

Doug Nelson                     [log in to unmask]
Network Manager                 Ph: (517) 353-2980
Computer Laboratory             http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/
Michigan State University