No, John, that is not correct.  As I stated in the announcement
yesterday, we began getting reports on Tuesday that some mail from
Pilot users to AOL addresses was being blocked by AOL.  We know that
at least one server, pilot05.cl.msu.edu, was being blocked on Monday
morning, and yesterday afternoon it wasn't.

I've attached redacted headers from an example George Perkins
encountered when a Physics professor send email to his class list.
One of the students was forwarding mail to his/her AOL account;
AOL bounced the mail back to the prof.

At least some of AOL's blocking is robotic; for instance, they
rebuild their list of open relay offenders daily.  But they
block for reasons other than open relay; e.g., if they have
flagged a server as a site originating spam.

It looks like a given mail server's IP address can go on and
off AOL's blacklist on a day-by-day basis.  We know that users
on campus with infected computers are generating large volumes
of mail that appears to be through Pilot; therefore it is all
but certain that AOL will block more of the Pilot servers as
time goes on.

What we reported yesterday has no relation to openrelay.msu.edu,
though I suspect AOL is blocking mail from that address all the time.

The message to end users is:

-- AOL is blocking mail from Pilot users sometimes.

-- If you as a Pilot user experience a problem sending mail to
an aol.com address, you can avoid the problem by upgrading to
mail.msu.edu.  If you are forwarding mail from Pilot to an AOL
address, we suggest you upgrade to mail.msu.edu so that you
don't run the risk of forwarded mail bouncing.

/rich

> <<< 554-(RLY:B1)  The information presently available to AOL indicates
this
> <<< 554-server is generating high volumes of member complaints from AOL's
> <<< 554-server is generating high volumes of member complaints from AOL's
> <<< 554-member base.  Based on AOL's Unsolicited Bulk E-mail policy at
> <<< 554-http://www.aol.com/info/bulkemail.html AOL may not accept further
> <<< 554-e-mail transactions from this server or domain.  For more
information,
> <<< 554 please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com.
> 554 5.0.0 s------@aol.com... Service unavailable

Reporting-MTA: dns; pilot06.cl.msu.edu
Received-From-MTA: DNS; kepler.pa.msu.edu
Arrival-Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:10:16 -0400