In the past two days, Norton Anti-virus has found the Fake.Gina Trojan on
two computers in my department.  The odd thing is that it found it at boot
time, when the system loads it in response to a registry hack.  At this
point, the trojan .dll is already in the system32 folder.  It seems as
though NAV should have found it when it when it was written there and
quarantined it at that point, so we're puzzled as to how it's getting
there.  Has anyone else run into this recently?  (According to Symantec,
the trojan itself has been around for over a year.)  These computers have
Microsoft's RPC vulnerabilities patched, but did not have the more recent
patch for the Messenger Service.

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017