From: "John Gorentz" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 4:18 PM
Subject: what anti-virus software?

> Has there been a move away from Symantec NAV Corporate on
departmentally-managed systems?

> I'm running Symantec System Center for about 30 licensed computers and was
planning to make the server available for more, but see that it's no longer
possible to get NAV Corporate through the computer store.   The price of
buying it directly from Symantec is pretty high now, as is the cost of
license upgrades.

> Joe Budzyn's site says MSU has negotiated a contract for McAfee; however,
the links to information about it on his site are broken and the computer
store doesn't have any information about it, either.

> We recently bought a license for NAV for our mail server (allowing users
the choice of opting in or else going somewhere else for mail service)  but
I don't see any particular reason for desktop computers to use NAV just
because the mail server does.  The ability to see from a console what sort
of viruses have been caught on other computers is handy, but it's not
crucial.   So maybe it's time to think about using something else.   Any
thoughts?

> I'm not so much asking what anti-virus software is best as whether there
is a product that makes department-level management easy.    There are about
30 desktop computers in a locked-down configuration that I manage fairly
tightly.  The rest of the computers down here are the usual university-type
chaos, where people do with them what they feel like doing.

> (On my home computer I don't run ANY antivirus software and have never
gotten infected.   I probably have some sort of personality disorder that
accounts for my complete lack of curiosity as to what's in all those .exe
files and other attachments.   I've been able to transmit that disorder to
other family members, but not to the folks at work.)