George J. Perkins wrote:
> There are network utilities available which use repeated TCP or UDP
> connection attempts in order to simulate pings in an environment where
> ICMP is not useful/useable.  Many hacker toolkits make use of them
> (though actual hackers tend to use other features beyond the simple
> "can I get through to system A?" functionality).

There are also very flexible tcptraceroute packages available
that are a TCP implementation of traceroute so you can find
out where problems are occurring.  I've found it to come in
very handy in tracking down problems with buggy firewalls
that block ECN packets and the like.  Although, I only know
of their availability on *nix based hosts.

-Russell