Just to add to what Tim is saying:

It is quite common to run into applications that are loaded as
hidden that will not be picked up by antivirus software because
they're actually legitimate applications that can be used to
backdoor systems.  It is also trivial to bypass most antivirus
software by altering the applications to mask particular
signatures.

There are likely many systems out there that were exploited,
plugged the RPC hole by shutting it off or installing the patch,
and then loading backdoors for future use.  The exploit was in
known circulation for about a week before MSU started filtering
RPC traffic from the Internet, and filtering from within campus
didn't happen until a couple weeks later.  Plenty of time for
many many systems to be backdoored in various ways, not
necessarily by viruses and worms.

There's plenty to be looking for including open ports that
shouldn't be, and user accounts with elevated privileges
(even on single-user systems) to name a few.

-Russell