On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Margaret Wilson quoted a personal reply from Don
Bosman to her earlier message, which in turn was based on a suggestion
of mine to use traceroute instead of ping:
> [...]
> ACD has fiber to campus, efectively making them a segment on 'our' network,
> so they should be able to ping the gateway. You should have been able to
> ping via your ACD/MSU account, but not through ACD's own network. Since
> Traceroute uses pings it shouldn't be working from off campus either.
> [...]

Traceroute does not use pings, which are ICMP packets (ECHO_REQUEST sent,
ECHO_RESPONSE returned) by default, it uses UDP packets (on many systems
one can choose, however, to alter the default and send the ICMP "ECHO"
family packets instead).  What I forgot in my initial suggestion was that
the responses traceroute listens for are ICMP TIME_EXCEEDED and/or
UNREACHABLE packets (depending on which is appropriate), so even though
the UDP packets it's sending out may get through an ICMP block, the ICMP
packets it's listening for may not.

There are network utilities available which use repeated TCP or UDP
connection attempts in order to simulate pings in an environment where
ICMP is not useful/useable.  Many hacker toolkits make use of them
(though actual hackers tend to use other features beyond the simple
"can I get through to system A?" functionality).

George J Perkins                  http://www.pa.msu.edu/people/perkins/
1209B BPS Bldg, MSU               Phone: 517-355-9200 ext 2567
East Lansing, MI  48824-2320        FAX: 517-353-4500