Thanks for the suggested solution ... I'll pass it along.

The mail team is exploring a range of solutions, from free to
expensive, for both the anti-spam and anti-virus issues.  In
both cases, you want a very low false positive rate, while still
being as close to 100% as possible in catching real spam or
viruses.  Anti-spam products in particular cost dramatically
more as you get closer to 100% effectiveness.  Getting the most
bang for the buck is the issue.

On another note, yes, we certainly do understand the costs of
spam -- both the cost of lost productivity and the cost of
user frustration.  The request for funding for anti-virus
competed with many other worthy technology funding requests.

Finally, keep in mind that even a free central anti-spam and
anti-virus solution is likely to require additional hardware
to do all the processing -- another cost.

Maybe this would be a good agenda item for the next face-to-face
NAG meeting?

/rich