> I stepped through this on the phone yesterday with Steve Devine so he could
> fully understand the way it was (mis)behaving, and he said he would follow
> up.  Today it's working again for us, so I assume he found the problem and
> fixed it.  My faculty are very appreciative.

I believe what was happening is that the AFS client attempts to ping the AFS
server.  I removed some of the backbone ICMP (ping) blocks yesterday late
afternoon, so perhaps that is what allowed AFS to again work, on campus.

Now, this won't help off-campus users, since we haven't lifted any blocks
at the border.

Doug

Doug Nelson                     [log in to unmask]
Network Manager                 Ph: (517) 353-2980
Computer Laboratory             http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/
Michigan State University