I checked with Steve Devine.  He and Chris did some diagnostic work
yesterday, and Steve forwarded a query to the folks that run the
CL's WINS server.  However no changes were made to the WINS server.

Doug Nelson tells me that a problem was reported yesterday with
some Mac lab access to drive mapping, and he relaxed ICMP limitations
to solve that problem.  That change occurred late yesterday
afternoon.  It is possible that that change also fixed the problems
that Chris Wolf and John Fishbeck experienced.

Whatever caused the "voila!" was certainly not intentionally done
in darkness but if things are working that weren't that's good.

This also means that "ping" among academic buildings is now
opened up again, a separate concern raised on NAG.  (ICMP from
residence halls is still blocked.)

I think there's a pretty strong consensus in the Computer Lab that
OpenAFS is the better approach to connecting your Windows PC to
AFS space.

In separate news, the AFS team opened up ports 7001 through 7004
for off-campus (e.g. cable modem) access to AFS.  (They
may also need to open 7009 but are not sure this is needed.)

/rich