All:
We manage the public afs rotary (afs.msu.edu).
This rotary is comprised of 12 separate unix servers running samba as
well as other services.
When we need to patch a server we ask Hostmaster to remove it from the
dns rotary. This doesn't seem to accomplish much however because even
with these machines out of the rotary the isolated server still gets
multiple requests for samba service. We recently had three out for
several days and the minute we put them back on line they were serving
samba requests even though they still were out of the rotary.

So here are my questions:
Are there multiple wins servers on campus and how do they refresh
themselves?
When we remove machines from the afs.msu.edu rotary should I post to
this list?
Can /do  these wins servers use dns for hostname discovery?

On a separate issue can someone tell me if port 445 needs to be used for
day-to-day SMB filesharing? We would just as soon firewall that off.

Thanks ..

--
Steve Devine
Core Systems